WHAT IS SECOND 6?
Second 6 is a comprehensive, multi-sector effort led by the Violence Prevention Coalition to fill a gap in support and build resilience in children at the critical ages of 6-12. The initiative will establish a data and information hub, a collaborative network of key providers, and a dedicated public/private funding stream to support the development of children 6-12 and their families. It will be informed by the strategies employed by First 5 LA, which have produced outstanding outcomes for children ages 0-5. The vision of Second 6 is to provide the next step in a cradle-to-career support system for the children of Los Angeles.
WHY DOES 6-12 MATTER?
- 6-12 is an age of becoming. Our greatest frontal lobe growth, when the brain has the highest ability to imprint and retain, develop decision-making, empathy, moral reasoning, and a sense of identity takes place at this age.
- 6-12 is primetime for gang recruitment. Experienced gang members understand the ripe moment to ensure affiliation is woven into a new member’s identity. Children crave recognition from older children and role models at this age.
- 6-12 learning trends predict criminality or success. Third grade reading level is widely accepted as a predictive benchmark for either high school graduation or juvenile justice involvement.
SIX WAYS TO SUPPORT KIDS:
- Donate funds, time and in-kind services to build the collaborative through the VPC
- Provide your expertise to the think tank
- Sign up for the VPC email newsletter to get Second 6 alerts and information
- Spread the word by connecting us to others interested in supporting this effort
- Ensure long term success with donations to the Second 6 Endowment Fund
- Advocate for a Second 6 dedicated public revenue source